Highway NewsLatest UpdatesTopicsAll ItemsSearch

« Back to previous


If the answer is Yes; are you aware of the latest requirements when driving in countries outside the UK?

For instance:

- The French clean air stickers - called Crit'Air vignettes – which is a six-category sticker system that applies to all motor vehicles in certain areas to identify what emissions they produce.

- The new EU cross-border directive that came into effect on 6th May 17 for the UK, which is aimed at tracking down people who commit traffic offences in cars that are registered in an EU Member State different to where the offence was committed.  This means if you commit a speeding, or any other driving offence abroad, now the crime will effectively follow you back home to the UK where you can still be prosecuted.

- That depending on experience the alcohol limit is far lower that the UK limit of 0.8 grams per litre.

- UK motorists travelling abroad in a UK registered hire vehicle must carry its original Vehicle Registration Document (VRD).  If your vehicle is hired or leased, the hire/lease company will not usually release the original VRD.  The Vehicle on Hire Certificate is the normal alternative, which can be carried by the driver in lieu of the original VRD.

Don’t get caught out – here are some links which may help you drive and stay safe this coming summer when driving outside the UK:

- RAC Checklist?

- AA Checklist?

- Where and when do you need International Driving Permit (IDP)?

- Vehicle on Hire Certificate?




Ian on 8/5/17
You must be logged in and approved as a forum user to discuss.

The Highway Forum is a place where you can find out what is happening in the world of technology and Highway itself...

How to use the Forum
Forum Guidelines
Ask us anything?

Registered users only…. type your question here and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible...